Monday, August 24, 2009

Fall.....& CycloX are coming!!!

The heat here in Texas has been oppressive. As of 2 weeks ago we had 57 days over 100 degrees in this fair city. I heard that the average is about 12-15 days per summer. I already complain about the heat by end of July every summer so to say this year has been rough would be an understatement.

I'm desperately awaiting fall and the cooler temperatures it brings. To help convince myself that cooler temperatures are on the way and since I'm finding it harder and harder to motivate myself to train for these last 3 road races I have, I'm turning to cyclocross. What is cyclocross you may ask? It is a crazy winter sport that is huge in Europe and is fast gaining popularity here in the US. Here is a short video to help give you a little more background.



Well, during most of the year (mid January-September), my cross bike functions as my commuter. So yesterday, in a desperate effort to convince myself that fall is just around the corner; I took off my Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires (best commuting tires ever).


Commuting Wheels

And put on the knobbies.....still with dirt from last year on them.


Now they're Cyclocross Wheels!!!!

Today, I enjoyed a day off of work and took my Van Dessel Hole Shot out to explore the Salado Creek Greenbelt. Sorry, iPhone photos aren't the same quality....








Hopping on the Greenbelt at 1604 and riding it to 281 for the first time I have to say it is very rideable on a cross bike with only a few parts that required some dismount and carry practice. A good trail that I would definately ride again. It was great to get out and explore and work on my trail riding skills which are seriously lacking. Falls coming....I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment