Saturday, January 8, 2011

Raleigh HiLife

So I had a little extra money from the settlement on the MVA with the old cross bike after building up the new Kestrel TT and Van Dessel so I started looking at cheap cross bikes. I wanted another cross bike since the Van Dessel was to nice to take on mountain bike trails or bar rides. I also wanted something I could use as a pit bike in case of flats/mechanicals. (we don't have much mud here in TX). What followed was shopping but agonizing about buying a cheap cross bike or taking a chance on a single speed cross that I might not enjoy. I have posted in the past about building a fixie but finding out that I didn't enjoy riding it and I was afraid of the same experience with a single speed cross bike.

In the shopping around, the one bike that really caught my eye was this one. This bike appealled to the fun, risk-taking part of me while the standard Fuji comp appealed to the safe, practical part of me. The only issue was I couldn't find one. They were a limited run and sold out extremely fast. Then a new frame set popped up on eBay and we were in business. Almost all the parts came from the parts bin so it was a junkyard build. The levels are SRAM Rival levers gutted of the shift mechanism. After a couple of rides on it, I have to say its a fun bike to ride and a great break to get out and explore trails without worrying about mileage, cadence, or wattage. I'm looking forward to doing some single speed cross races next season.


Frame/Fork Raleigh Hi-Life 57 cm/Easton EC90X
Headset FSA CX Headset
Stem Ritchey Alloy WCS 100 mm
Handlebar Ritchey Pro 42 cm
Seatpost Thomson Elite 287 cm
Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP
Crank Truvativ Rouleur 172.5
Chainrings SRAM 38
Pedals Crankbrothers Eggbeater C
Front Derailleur N/A
Rear Derailleur N/A
Cassette Orgin8 Conversion Kit 18t
Chain Shimano Dura-Ace
Shifters SRAM Rival
Brakes Tektro CR720
Brake Pads Koolstop Salmon
Seat Selle Italia Flite Team
Cables Gore
Wheels Mavic Comos
Tires Kenda Small Block

No comments:

Post a Comment